Re: Triuph Spitefires & GT6s

To: KXN2@PSUVM.PSU.EDU, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Triuph Spitefires & GT6s
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 92 17:51:11 -0500
        I'm sure you'll get a lot of replies to this post.  If you don't, send
me mail personally.  I have one of each.  The spitfire and GT6 are essentially
the same cars.  The GT6 is a fastback GT version.  During its development (the
GT6) it gained a little too much weight.  Triumph then beefed up the frame and
put in a 6 cylinder engine (a 2 liter version of the triumph 6 cylinder).  The
hood has a bulge to clear the 6 pot.  It is possible to bolt a spitfire tub
on a GT6 and get a convertible.  The GT6 also got a rear end update to fix
some handling problems they were having with the spitfire rear end and the more
powerful engine.  It is a dual u-joint axle versus the swing arm of the spit.

        I'm combining the spit tub and the GT6 frame.  It is possible to put
a TR6 crank in the later GT6 engines and get a 2.5 liter engine.  The resulting
car is supposed to very nice.  There are quite a few of these conversions around
since it is so easy.  You just have to get the various parts.  There isn't any
modification necessary.

        The transmission and the differential are weak and have somewhat limited
lifespans.  If you buy one of these cars you will do transmission work.

woodruff@caen.engin.umich.edu