Jag auto tranny performance

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Jag auto tranny performance
From: DANIELS@LMSBV2.TAMU.EDU (Lee M. Daniels, Texas A&M)
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1992 9:16:19 -0600 (CST)
I ran across this on rec.autos.tech (which is mostly worthless drivel).  If
the tranny design is as decribed, then this is certainly interesting.  Are
these mph numbers accurate?  Any comments?

>From: dilmore@cray.com (Robert J. Dilmore)
>
>   I'm still trying to wipe the permagrin off my face..
>
>   This weekend my mom came down with her 92 Jag XJS conv. with the
>12 cylinder engine. I had heard that if you keep it in 1st that the
>shift will be at redline instead of at 3500 as it is when it is in
>Drive. Well I tried it and let me tell you it was AWSOME! The car
>torqued right up to 85, tires squeeled shifted into 2nd and just went
>right up to 130 mph until it chirped the tires again and just kept
>going like it was never going to stop...
>    Is there any other type of transmission that operates like this?
>
>Robert

"Things that make you go 'Hmmmm...'"

Lee M. Daniels - Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding - Texas A&M
   daniels@lmsbvx.tamu.edu  |  DANIELS@TAMLMSB.BITNET  |  (409) 845-3726