British Bank Accnts

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (britcars)
Subject: British Bank Accnts
From: Paul Amaranth <amaranth@vela.acs.oakland.edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1992 16:51:45 -0500 (EST)
With the recent drop in the pound, it's starting to look like a good
time to import some parts from the UK.  I was wondering if anyone
on this side of the Atlantic had any experience in opening a checking
(alright, chequeing :-) account in a British bank.

To forestall all of the obvious remarks about using a credit card, yes
I do that too, but there are at least 2 reasons why I want to get a
bank account:
  a) Lock in the exchange rate.  This can be good or bad, but overall
     I think it's good.  The lowest rate on the pound last year was
     something like $1.62.  Friday it was around $1.53 and I think it
     might drop some more when interest rates go up a little.
  b) I can't put an E-type bodyshell on my credit card :-)

thanks
--
Paul Amaranth  Manager User Services - office: (313) 370 4541 (also voicemail)
(internet)     amaranth@vela.acs.oakland.edu  |    This space