Re: MG rack oil

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MG rack oil
From: sanders@triton.unm.edu
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 92 14:00:42 -0700

Regarding filling MG steering racks...
I use the approach where the top plate of the rack is removed for filling.
However, there are a couple of drawbacks to this. The clearance between the
radiator hoses and the plate bolts is tight. The other thing is that in
order to get any of the oil INTO the rack (as opposed to all over the rack)
one pretty much needs to remove the rack damper piece and associated spring.
On my 68, this guy doesn't want to pop out of there easily. On newer racks,
enough of it protrudes out the top to get a hold of it. I never have figured
out analytically how much to add as I don't know how much may be left inside.
I usually work the rack back and forth during filling so that it will burp
out any excess beyond what it can transfer from boot to boot. Having too
much will over pressurize the rack boots. When putting the plate etc back, it
may be appropriate to remove a shim or two to tighten things up.

John Sanders