Riley h2o pump update, pt.2

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Riley h2o pump update, pt.2
From: "Daren Stone, D2 Mfg. Engr. C5/6, 5-9521" <DSTONE@SC9.intel.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 92 11:29:37 PST
          Well since it's been awhile since I reported on
     the water pump rebuilding effort I've been undertaking
     on Mr. Riley, maybe this is a good time to catch you
     all up.
          I finally got all the parts back from MSI after
     they welded up all the cracks, PO-induced holes to
     plumb dysfunctional heaters, etc. As usual they
     did a wonderful job, in fact you cannot even see where
     they welded up the bypass pipe ! All new, I set about
     painting all the components that look painted in my
     manual a nice green enamel.
          Some of the gaskets I was able to buy since they
     are the same as on a TC, but many others I had to make.
     My employer graciously offered up a perfect-sized O-ring to
     seal the bypass pipe, and all new Whitworth hardware
     came from O'Connors. Finally a few weekends ago I was
     ready to put it all together.
          The first thing that was in order was to assemble
     the shaft-bearings-seals, etc., into the nose of the pump.
     I'd bunged up the threads a bit on both ends of the shaft
     when pressing off the impeller & pulley, so I spent quite
     a bit of time cleaning them up with a thread file so the
     nuts went on smoothly. Finally it was all sorted out &
     fit together like new. Next came time to fit the
     impeller. The impeller is held in place with a
     woodruff key and a very thin brass aircraft nut. Well
     the aircraft nut had long since lost it's threads, and
     the only thing O'Connors had was a normal thickness
     nickel plated whitworth aircraft nut. When I put this
     on it was quickly apparent that the nut was too thick &
     the locking portion never even contacted the shaft
     threads. In order to make this work I had to carefully
     cut the nut in two, effectively creating the world's
     narrowest aircraft nut. A glob of Loctite for
     insurance, and it all fit perfectly.
          With all back together it was too pretty to put back on
     that dirty old engine, so I spent quite a bit of time cleaning up
     the front of the engine compartment. Finally I realized if I was
     going to go any further I would soon be disassembling the entire
     car, so I put the pump back on. Now the only thing left to do is
     to make up two 3.5" long stainless steel 5/16" whitworth studs to
     hold the water rail on, and the water pump is done. But then I have
     to do the oil line banjos, front u-joint, check that leaky front
     wheel cylinder .....

               mo' later-
                         dstone@sc9.intel.com