Re: Re: Diff. filling on '80 MGB

To: rgb@hal.com
Subject: Re: Re: Diff. filling on '80 MGB
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 92 10:59:28 pst
> Date: Fri, 6 Nov 92 09:11:22 CST
> From: rgb@hal.com (Roger Bolick)
> To: Dean_Zywicki%NIHDCRT.BITNET@CU.NIH.GOV
> Subject: Re: Diff. filling on '80 MGB
> Cc: british-cars@autox.team.net, british-cars@encore.com,
>         british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
>

> > 2)  How do I get 90W oil into the steering rack through ...
>

> I bought a 4 oz. squirt oil can at Kmart, a 3/16" piece of

I also suggested an oil squirt can but a better alternative
might be one of those Stalube oil pumps.  I used one to put
oil in both my transmission and rear end.  They pump much faster
than an oil can and screw right into the bottles Stalube gear oil
comes in (but, unfortunately, not into the bottles Redline gear oil
comes in) so there no refilling required.

> fuel tubing, removed the nipple and "screwed the rubber hose
> into the fitting.  Plug the can output nipple into the other
> end of the 3 foot hose and pump it in.  I found 4 oz. fills a
> TR6 boot, though you have to stop after 2 oz. and "burp" the
> boots (prepare for the 1/4 oz. of overflow at this point).

Loosening one or more of the gaiter clamps (if you have clamps instead
of cable ties) might help to eliminate the need for "burping"

> Watch the boots, don't blow them up!  It's nice to have the pump
> can full of 90W for door hinges, etc.  This one has a flexible

One of the interesting things I learned from a Redline rep is that
the SAE oil weight standard for engine oil and gear oil are not the
same.  SAE 90 gear oil is about the same weight as SAE 40 engine oil.

Roland