RE: TR4 back on the road

To: asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR4 back on the road
From: rush@mnementh.Metaphor.COM (Ed Rush)
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 92 10:39:42 PDT
> ..., made up a heat shield to protect all
> but the offending part of the piston & with my heart in my mouth
> applied the blowlamp ...

Is a "blowlamp" what we Americans call a "blowtorch"?  That is, a
hand-held tool for spewing a focused propane gas flame under pressure?
I find it amusing that the flame and electrical sources of heat and
light get reversed by the ocean between us:

        ENGLISH         AMERICAN        MEANING
        -------         --------        -------
        torch           flashlight      hand-held electrical light
        (blow)lamp      (blow)torch     flame for spot heating
        **********      lamp            freestanding electrical light,
                                          as a floor lamp or table lamp

* Having operated a "Flashlight"-brand follow-spot in Europe, I am
  tempted to complete the word chain with a guess by putting "flashlight"
  here for "lamp"!

> ... I shoulder my way into the pub, which is filled
> with cheery TR pilots exchanging stories about blown engines etc, etc,
> all clutching pints.  ...

I'm envious.  There's something about a British country pub that is not
duplicated here -- even aside from the quality of beer.

  | Ed Rush, not speaking for Metaphor, Mtn. View, CA  |
  |  UUCP: [...!{apple|decwrl}!]metaphor!rush          |
  |  Internet: rush@metaphor.com                       |
  | My Macintosh doesn't go out in the rain.           |