TR4 back on the road

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 back on the road
From: asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk (Adrian Jefferies)
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 92 10:26:17 BST

Hi

Regular readers of this group may recall my rather embarassing predicament
regarding the carb needle which was Alraldited into the carb piston
of my TR4 (Alraldite being a very potent epoxy glue) which had arisen
due to a misunderstanding between myself & my uncle. I'm pleased to
report that all is well - I managed to turn the stuck set screw
back about 1/8 of a turn, made up a heat shield to protect all
but the offending part of the piston & with my heart in my mouth
applied the blowlamp ... Success! got the damn thing out & was then
able to tap a thread into the set screw. I'd like to thank those of
you who suggested possible solvents for Alraldite.

The car being back on the road after a quick carb balance, I drove
to the filling station.  The car responded with this care by sticking
the rear offside brake drum on such that application of the brakes
caused a wild slew to the right. Damn! Well, its Saturday, I'll
forgo lunch & take a look. I jacked the rear end up, having carefully
chocked the front wheels and ... the car gracefully slid sideways
off the jack. No damage to myself or car, the wheels were still
on - but it goes to show that you can still get caught out. I was very
lucky - I use always axle stands (which weren't yet in place) but it
was rather frightening. So - take care out there!

And now, a trip report of the TR register Inter Group lunchtime meeting
at the Fox & Hounds pub just out of Devizes in Wiltshire ...

Well, a sunny morning promised a good turn out so I drove from
Romsey in Hampshire to Salisbury and then on across Salisbury Plain
to Devizes -  little traffic about, sun shining although a bit cold,
the road across the plain (farmland & army training ground) being a
pleasant rural drive, I got to the pub & had the last parking slot.
47 TRs I was told! I shoulder my way into the pub, which is filled
with cheery TR pilots exchanging stories about blown engines etc, etc,
all clutching pints.  The pub is overwhelmed by the numbers of people
and as I queue at the bar I strike up a conversation with a guy who owns
a TR4A, he buys me a pint. We retreat outside & talk about overdrives
& it transpires he knows a guy who can sell me a destroyed TR5 overdrive
box (useful for o/d & the output shaft) for peanuts. This makes my day.
TRs present - TR3, 3A's, 4's, 4A's, a 5 (rough but for sale, 6950 sterling),
a 250, 6s & 7's. I amble about & chat to a few people. Some of the
cars were immaculate, others a bit worn. A couple of Healey 3000's
blast past. Not bad for a lunchtime drink ...

Quite a busy weekend!

regards, Adrian
        asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk