smokin', man

To: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Subject: smokin', man
From: paisley@cme.nist.gov (Scotty Paisley)
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 92 09:08:47 EDT
Roland Dudley writes:
 > The rubber rack-and-pinion steering boots (gaiter kit) I ordered from
 > TRF finally arrived.  They're slightly different from the ones on
 > m'snake but look like they will fit.  One thing about this kit I don't
 > care for is the chintzy set of plastic cable ties that are supposed to
 > secure the boots to the steering linkage.  I'm going to stick with the
 > clamps that are on the old boots.  Interestingly, I spotted a set of

Actually, if they are the plastic cable ties that we use to secure
cables around the labs, they will not break (even if you want them
too).  The type I'm referring too are made from nylon I believe.  The
TR6 has some "bailing wire" to secure one of the steering boots which
I didn't like.  It looked like it could cut the end of the boot off if
it's secured too tight!  I replaced this with a handy dandy cable tie.
It's been there for a year without any mishap.  (knock knock knock)
I've also heard of mechanics who have used cable ties to secure CV
boots on newer front wheel drive cars.(!)  That's a bit more that I
would trust, but they are tough suckers...

---
"All the parts falling off this car are of the very finest British
manufacture"            (except the cable ties and coat hangers :-)

-Scott

P.S.  I am not a cable tie sales man...