More Jensen Stuff

To: british-cars@hoosier.utah.edu
Subject: More Jensen Stuff
From: tlp30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Tim Pettenati)
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 92 08:30 PDT
To Ralph:  I'll send the last post directly to you, so as not to clutter the
network.  Things to look for on a used Jensen Healey.  The 4-speeds develope
a problem of popping out of 2nd and/or 3rd.  To test for this do a few brisk
acceleration/decelerations runs in 2nd and third.  Not wide open throttle,
but close to it.
If you can get an independant mechanic to do a compression check, this would
be a wise investment before buying the car.  A valve job can be very expensive
on the Lotus type 907,  they burn valves easily if regular clearance checks
and adjustments are not done.
Check for the smell of fuel in the trunk. The gas tank sits on a pad which can
collect moisture and cause the bottom of the tank to rust.

To Shel:  The 5 speed used in later J-Hs had what is called a formula pattern,
with 2nd through 5th in the H pattern, and 1st to the right and back.  I don't
think BMW marketed a car with this transmission in the U.S.A.   If you know of
one let me know.

To Jerry and Darren:  Hope to join you guys for lunch on Wednesday, if I can
sneak out of a meeting a little early.