Re: commission number plates.

To: british-cars@hoosier.utah.edu
Subject: Re: commission number plates.
From: sanders@triton.unm.edu
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 92 09:19:40 -0600
>>Make sure that everything is well documented before you install a newly
>>stamped commission plate.  Most states have very strict laws regarding
>>this.

>I intend to make it as much like the original as possible, and to
>keep the original for authentication proof.

Hum... My experience with that approach wasn't so good. When I went to
register my CA car in New Mexico, I had the original plates to back up
the redone ones that I had on the car. The policewoman at the DMV (which in
NM are a unit of the taxation dept) confiscated the original plates and
generally tried to make me be thankful that I wasn't locked up for the rest
of my life. After weeks of hassle and, computer stolen-list checking, I managed
to exchange the new plates for the originals.
My advise: don't mention that the plates are not original.

BTW: CA DMV still caused me hassles even after I left the state. They had
made an obvious mis-type on the title number which was a pain to get corrected.

RE: SOL decals...
This reminds me of one of my pet peeves... Here in the southwest, car dealers
go all out to use sold cars as billboards. You don't drive a Honda Accord, Chevy
Slagmobile or whatever, you drive a Ken John's Pontiac/Honda/Izusu/Jeep/Yugo/...
The dealers delight in rivetting on ad plates that are far bigger and more
prominant than the vehicle labelling. Having to put "Albuquerque" on the
#$@! thing makes it even bigger. I had a heck of a time avoiding having one
of these things when I bought my new Jeep.
The concept of putting a florescent SOL decal on the car similarly doesn't
appeal to me.

John Sanders