Re: In need of net wisdom

To: Nelson_Yaple@ccm.hf.intel.com, british-cars@hoosier.utah.edu
Subject: Re: In need of net wisdom
From: kendall@cheysco.chey.com (none)
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 92 10:26:52 EDT

>       3K RPM it knocks fairly loud only during acceleration

Sounds like you need to do some work on the bottom end.

>        Is this Main Bearing, Big End Bearing

I would guess rod (big end) bearings.  It doesn't really matter though
(unless it's doing damage to the con rods or crank) because if you do
the bottom end you'll replace both the main and rod bearings.  The bearings
cost about $40 or $50 and of course grinding the crank or reconditioning
the con rods will drive the cost up.

I've only done this job once (last saturday) and it's really not hard to
do.  The real work is getting the motor out of the car and stripping it.
After over 100,000 miles, it's probably a really good idea to freshen
up the bottom end.  Hopefully you can just fit new bearings and thrust
washers and go for another couple hundred thousand.

Good luck

Kendall Robinson  (kendall@cheysco.chey.com)