Re: Unknown MG spotted

To: Wayne Angevine <angevine@badger.colorado.edu>, british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: Unknown MG spotted
From: sggy@crux1.cit.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett)
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1992 14:56:46 -0500
Wayne Angevine scribed:
 Subject: Unknown MG spotted
> This morning there was an MG at the local British garage which I didn't
> recognize.  It looked a bit like a T-series, but larger (much larger than
> the Spitfire it was parked next to, for example), with huge (diameter)
> wire wheels.  What was it?

Pretty vague description. There are *LOTS* of MG's other than the series,
that might fall in this description. A whole alphabet's worth, almost!
Ruling out the some of the older stuff (Not too many 18/80's in the US)
If it's truely bigger than a T series (Remember- TD is bigger than TC)
I'd guess it to be an SA, but it could be one of the other 6 cylinder's,
or some custom coachwork. Most likely possibilities:

OHC:
1933-34 K3      Magnette        6 Cyl 1087cc 120HP Sports/Racer
1934-35 KN      Magnette        6 Cyl 1286cc 56HP @5500
1933-34 L1, L2  Magna           6 Cyl 1087cc 41HP @ 5500
1933-35 NA      Magnette        6 Cyl 1286cc 56HP @ 5500
1936    NB      Magnette        6 Cyl 1286cc 56HP @ 5500
        NE      Magnette        6 cyl 1286cc 74.3HP @ 6500 (TT Specials)
Pushrod engined cars:
1936-39 SA      2 Litre         6 Cyl 2288cc 78.5HP @ 4200
1937-39 VA      1 1/2 litre     4 Cyl 1549cc 55HP @ 4400
1939    WA      2.6 litre       6 Cyl 2561cc 95-100HP @ 4400

Any of these might be found with open coachwork.
   ________
  /     _  \        Roger Garnett             (Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /   /||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   |
| |\/ ||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            | South Lansing Centre For
| |   ||   | |      Cornell University       | Wayward Sports Cars
 \    ||__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | Safety Fast!