Re: octane: old question-new twist

To: british-cars@hoosier, sfisher@wsl.dec.com
Subject: Re: octane: old question-new twist
From: mason@ftp.com (Nark Mason)
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 92 01:21:25 -0500
Speaking of decoking, I've got to relate an old decoking story -
One of the classic motorcycle mags recently reprinted a bunch
of articles from the 30's or thereabouts, when, as mentioned, decoking
(as well as 4:1 compression) was an everyday occurrence. Well, some guy
wrote into the magazines help column with a question, paraphrased here:

"After too frequent decokings of my 1932 Spagthorpe Whippet a friend
 advised me of a practice to eliminate the decoking process - the
 placing of a ball bearing in the combustion chamber, so its ricocheting
 around the combustion chamber during normal use will prevent the buildup
 of carbon on the piston and head. I removed the head after a few hundred
 miles of operation and the head was dented and the piston was pretty
 fairly ruined.
 Perhaps I didn't use a large enough bearing?"

I will present a monogrammed bent pushrod to anyone who can convincingly
pass this bit of advice on to a novice mechanic.