Re: TR7/Stag valve seats

To: sol@hoosier
Subject: Re: TR7/Stag valve seats
From: ed@visix.com (Ed Devinney)
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 92 11:55:01 -0500
In article <9203181600.AA09117@vela.acs.oakland.edu> you write:
>Among other cars, I have a '73 Triumph Stag with the engine apart.  This
>car ran on leaded fuel, so I'm wondering what, if anything, I should do
>about the exhaust valves and seats.  The reason there's some confusion,
>is that they used the same part numbers for the exhaust valves and
>seats on the TR7 engine which did use unleaded fuel.  This brings up a
>couple of questions:

Hi there!  And here I thought I was the only Stag owner on the
BritCars list...

I don't know whether the Stag and '7 seats are the same, but I
wouldn't doubt it; most alloy heads that I know of use hardened
seats.  They have to put in some sort of seat anyway, of course,
unlike an iron head, and seem to use an unleaded-safe material

My '71 Stag is also dead in the engine compartment.  Right now the
cost of rebuilding or exchanging the V8 is too much, so we're
thinking of using a TR6 motor for a while.  Do you know any
reputable US source for either rebuilding the engine I have
or exchanging it for a rebuilt unit?

ed

--
ed devinney                                             ed@visix.com
software guy                    Visix Software Inc., Reston, VA, USA