question, comments, extemporaneous babbles

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: question, comments, extemporaneous babbles
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 93 11:57:54 -0500
        Has anyone heard/ dealt with a company called Scarborough Faire?
I got their catalog the other day and It seems like they have some good
prices on big Healey stuff as well as other makes.  They also sent a
sale sheet which had a new GT6 cylinder head for 140.00 dollars.  I
would think TR6 and GT6 owners would take note.  If you you want to up
the compression ratio of your TR6, it seems like you could buy one of
these brand new cylinder heads instead of rebuilding and skimming the
old one.  Then you could keep the original one in 'stock' condition...

        About compressors.  I wouldn't get a whimpy compressor and watch
the duty cycle!  If you pick up an air tool catalog, you can see the cfm
required to run the various tools you are interested in.  I would
compare cfm and duty cycle above all else when picking a compressor.  I
would think an oil-less type would have a pretty small capacity.  If you
just want to paint, look into one of those high volume, low pressure
paint sprayers which have the turbine driven air supply.  If you want
to sand blast, you'll need a BIG compressor or a lot of patience.

        Has anyone invested in a bead blasting cabinet?  I have been
looking at a couple of brands (TIP mostly) but can't really find a
model I like.  Most people I have talked to say top loading is a must,
as it is very hard to put heavy things in side door.  What size cabinet
would you recommend?  Any brand suggestions?

        I stopped in a redi-strip place over the weekend.  I was very
impressed with their process.  I saw some parts which looked like
original castings when done.  And they do get ALL the rust off, not some
or most, but it is completely cleaned.  I doubt you could get as good
results sandbalsting esp. if you had an irregularly shaped part.
>From what I understand, the part is dipped in a paint remover tank, then
put into the deruster which is an electrolytic process of some sort.
When finished, they spray a water soluble rust inhibitor which lasts a
month or so.

        I enjoyed breakfast with the St. Louis SOL'ers.  Thanks for the
time.

        I can't remember, but I think Roland was looking for some 4 inch
diameter flex tube for his snake vent system.  The Healey has this stuff
too.  Check out a Healey catalog.  You might try an airplane mechanic,
since that sort of thing is used on airplanes frequently.

woodruff@caen.engin.umich.edu