Re: Not Re: Radiators, Vanity Plates

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM, sfisher@wsl.dec.com
Subject: Re: Not Re: Radiators, Vanity Plates
From: mit-eddie!wsl.dec.com!kent@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 90 17:56:53 PDT
If you count a TR-6 as a tourer, then you must count a TR-4A as one, as
well, because the hood mechanism is shared between the two. The hood is
fairly permanently attached to the frame (rivets and glued flaps are
involved). And they both have roll-up windows rather than side
curtains, which may also put them out of 'roadster' country.

However, the 4A hood and frame can be completely removed -- but it's a
matter of 10 or 11 bolts to do so. I did this most of last spring,
because I couldn't be bothered with the flapping hood and didn't have a
hood stowage or tonneau cover (yet).

I don't know for sure, though, that the TR-2 and -3 series have a
separate frame and hood as in the early MGBs. The fact that the catalog
calls it a 'hood stowage cover' rather than 'hoodstick cover' makes me
speculate that the mechanism is in the same class as on the 4A. They
do, however, have side curtains.

The -4, by the way, has a completely different hood mechanism from any
foregoing or following: the hood stowage cover is a part of the
interior trim, and the frame and hood fold down much farther than in a
-2, -3 or -4A.

Gee, Scott, where does a Surrey Top fit into your scheme? :-)

chris