Re: Unisyn or Colortune?

To: mit-eddie!cgl.ucsf.EDU!gregoret@eddie.mit.edu
Subject: Re: Unisyn or Colortune?
From: mit-eddie!wsl.dec.com!sfisher@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 90 15:26:21 PDT
>What do you think is better for tuning SU's -- a Unisyn
>or a Colortune?

Well, I've tuned carbs with a Unisyn and I don't have
a Colourtune, though I've heard good things about it.
But I know it's possible to synchronize the carbs with
a Unisyn or equivalent flow gauge.

The advantage to the Unisyn (especially given what
you've already told me about your car's problems) is
that it gives you a better indication of what's going
on inside the combustion chamber -- the Unisyn only
tells you about the flow rate at the carb mouth.
There is a relationship between the two, but it's
fairly complicated.

The best bet would be to have a Unisyn for each carb
throat, a Colourtune for each cylinder, and a rolling
road chassis dynamometer so you could optimize the power
output at something other than idle.  Remember whatever you
use that tuning a car (especially one with SUs) at idle
is guaranteed to give you a tuned idle -- it doesn't
guarantee smooth running under heavy load at high RPM.

--Scott