Re: manual conversion

To: <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: manual conversion
From: "Sean Johnson" <seanjohnson@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 22:08:08 -0600
I have an original 4 speed.  Yes, the is not much space there  :-)  The
pedal set can be gotten from an AMC Javalin.  I read the AMC forum and a
member there, John Elle (johnelle@qwest.net), has a 70 Jav that he converted
to a T5.  This should be nearly the same for a B.  The only person I know
who has gone from an auto to a manual T5 specifically on a Bricklin is Jamie
of this group (bricklin0023@aol.com).  Like many of you, I'd like another
gear (or two).  I know Terry has used the Richmond 6 speed.  The downside
here is that they are expensive (about $3000).  The 5 speed is a little less
than $2000, but 5th gear is NOT overdriven.  It is 1:1.

Rick, the T-56 uses a different style clutch from even the earlier Chevys.
I don't claim to be an expert but I subscribe to Chevy High Performance
magazine and they have documented many T-56 swaps.  What was the donor
vehicle?  If it was a GM F-body or Corvette, I believe you'll need the whole
works:  master and slave cylinder, hoses, pressure plate, linkage (if any),
etc.  If the B uses a speedometer cable, you'll have to convert from the
T-56's electronic output (Jags that Run have a box and I believe other
companies do too).  I assume the shifter hole won't line up, the driveshaft
will have to be re-sized, and a rear mount will have to be fabricated.  If
you do take on this project, please document it for BrickLine.  I for one
will be very interested  :-)  Good luck and let me know if you need any of
those articles.  I could scan them for you.