Re: Hydraulic Door Woes

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hydraulic Door Woes
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 20:11:22 -0400
At 06:16 PM 8/24/02 -0400, Nyla Melcher Bright wrote:

>Well, it is 9 am on a Saturday so it must mean it's time for something to
>break......

>Which brings me to the point.  We were planning on doing the air door
>conversion after we finished a few other repairs we thought were more
>pressing (vapor leak, water getting in behind the firewall, ect.).  But, I
>hate to replace a motor we aren't going to be using a year from now. So...
>does anyone remember off hand which issue(s) of the Brickline has the
>discussion of the air door conversion?  Any tips or advice to add?
>
>If we decide to wait it out a little longer, does anyone know the part
>number for the pump? (Is it a motor or a pump?  Darrin can't decide.)

I really can't think of any real tips or advice about the conversion.  It's
really pretty streight forward.  Probably the hardest part will be getting
the storage tank welded to the rear bumper.  The only other question, is
do you go with the electric comperssor or the Vac. one.  I'd suggest the
electric.  Then you have one other decision, do you install a relay or
wire it streight up like Terry suggests?  I prefer the relay.  That way
the compressor is only energized when the ign. is in the on posiiton.
You install a "on/off" switch just like in the instructions, but have it
fire the relay if you need to pump up the doors before you get into the
car.

Once you do the conversion, you'll wonder how you ever lived with the
hydrolic doors.

>(vapor leak, water getting in behind the firewall, ect.)
Don't quite understand vapor leak, unless you mean vapor lock.

Neither of these seems as pressing as the door problem.  I think I'd
do the conversion, and then work on the other problems.