RE: COOLING SYSTEM

To: Somerville@kafb.aero.org, bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: COOLING SYSTEM
From: "K M" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 14:26:38 PDT
>There are only two ways to resolve Gregs conundrum. The first would be to
>investigate a specific case, where it is believed that removing the
>thermostat increases operating temperature, to determine if that is
>actually what occurs and if so determine the mechanism responsible.  This
>would entail operating the engine at identical operating and
>environmental conditions with and without the thermostat installed and
>with the engine fully instrumented, including judiciously placed
>thermocouples, mass flow sensors, etc.
>
>The second approach would be to inquire of an expert in cooling system
>design if such behavior has been observed and explained.  I have no doubt
>that the auto manufacturers have run an endless number of tests on
>cooling systems and could readily resolve this particular issue (assuming
>you are willing to accept their expertise!).

Drew, your comments remind me of the story about the college physics teacher
who asked her students how they could determine the height of a building
using a barometer.  One said that he would take an air pressure reading at
the ground floor, go up to the top of the building and take another and use
a formula, another said she would take the meter to the top of the building
and drop it, timing the fall and determining the height.  The third thought
a bit out of the box.  He said that he would find the person who designed
the building, tell that person that he had a great barometer he would give
him, if he told him how tall the building is (I guess you would have to
accept his expertise). Kim