Re: COOLING SYSTEM

To: <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: COOLING SYSTEM
From: "Mike and Candy Joehrendt" <Joehrend@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 06:14:25 -0400
>According to you, we have a second option of revving the motor to
>increase flow. AFAIK, that ain't the way it works, it just gets hotter.

Wrong.  Increasing RPM (to 2000 or so) increases both airflow and coolant
flow and the engine cools down.

If you do not believe thermodynamic theory as taught in physics classes
around the world and want to disprove it, you are free to do so, but please
stop trying to get someone else to risk their car to run your test.  I
believe the standard theory ( more fluid flow : air and/or
water = more cooling ) and followed it successfully in my car.  Put a
restrictor in YOUR radiator and test your theory.  Cut a metal disk to fit
in the radiator neck
under the thermostat.  Punch a small hole in it (a nail will work fine) -
the smaller the hole, the more cooling per your theory.  This is neither
expensive nor difficult.  Take your car out in 5 O'clock rush hour, stop and
go traffic on the Interstate in 95 degree temperatures.  The most likely
event is that you will have to pull over and remove the restrictor.  The
worst that should happen is that you will
damage your engine.  Let us know if we should throw away our physics
textbooks - after you have conducted the above experiment.

Mike