Fw: COOLING SYSTEM

To: "Bricklin" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: COOLING SYSTEM
From: "Greg Monfort" <wingracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 16:33:11 -0400
This is a pretty big misunderstanding!

AFAIK, heat transfer is primarily a function of temperature differential and
a material's ability to dissipate or absorb it.

Using t'stat open Vs closed as proof that "faster is more efficient" appears
to me to be apples 'n oranges. When closed, coolant is recirculated,
getting hotter with each cycle due to ever increasing resistance to heat
transfer as their differential is reduced. Once opened, it now can be
somewhat dissipated through the radiator. The increased rate of coolant
flow WRT closed isn't relevant per se, but the rate of flow through the
radiator WRT air flow through it is.

Using your data, John's temp should have increased when he added a
t'stat, since it reduces flow speed. At best, it would have remained the
same, if the t'stat caused no back pressure as some purport, but he
claims it dropped ~25deg. Please explain the mechanism that solves this
conundrum.

As an experiment, heat up some water to near boiling and pour it through a
piece of copper pipe at different flow rates. Compare heat transfer with
your hand while blowing air across it.

I'll wager your hand gets hotter (more heat transfer) the lower the flow
rate WRT a ~constant airflow (car idling or creeping in traffic). Proving in
this case what women already know; that slower for longer periods of
contact are better for achieving the desired results.  :^))

Please let us know the results. Inquiring minds want to know.............

GM