Re: Ignition Switch + Carb

To: "Olenick, Jamison" <Olenick@ssims.nci.nih.gov>,
Subject: Re: Ignition Switch + Carb
From: "Greg Monfort" <wingracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 15:23:50 -0400

>Two questions:
>   I am in need of an ignition switch - i think that there has been
some
>conversation on the topic before and the part number was OEM
#3197598?  Also ..
>where is this switch located.  I seem to remember it being on the
base of the
>steering column near the firewall on an 87 Iroc that I was working
on but when i
>look at the base of the cloumn on the bricklin i could not find it.
Anyone
>know?  Is it on the top side of the column?
============
This is the post I saved:

"At 11:56 AM 2/5/98 -0500, Thomas Benvie wrote:
>AMC bought their steering column assemblies from GMs Saginaw
division
>beginning 1970.  Any GM switch from 70 up to about late 80s, and
all AMC
>70-88 are the same. Just be sure you specify - "TILT COLUMN".  Also
as a note, the ign. switch is NOT near the key/lock.  The ign.
switch is located at the bottom of the steering col.  When you turn
the key, you are removing the pin for the locking steering wheel,
and moving a rod the runs down the steering col. to the ign.
switch."

John
============
>   I am also considering changing the carb.  Is there an advantage
or
>disadvantage to removing all of the pollution control devices?
============
You'll get better driveability and a modest performance increase
assuming the car doesn't have to pass an emission test.
============
  Would this be a
>problem due to the amount of vacuum lines in the bricklin?
============
No, you'll be removing many potential leaks.
============
 Or should I just get
>a good aftermarket carb?
>
> Thanks,  Jamie
You don't mention which carb you have, but a new carb is the most
worthwhile change to improve drivability and may also allow more
ignition advance. The Holly 500 cfm 2 barrel with electric choke is
a bolt-on for a '75. A better solution is a 480 cfm Quadrajet or
best is a Holly 4165 600cfm spreadbore on an alum. manifold.

GM