Re: Creative smog ideas welcome :)

To: "ba-autox Bay Area AutoX" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Creative smog ideas welcome :)
From: "Scott & Charlotte Miller" <bimmerdogs@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 08:55:43 -0700
Glenn, there are a few supercharger/engine combinations that have been
certified for use in CA, but I have no idea if your supercharger on
your engine is one of them.  I'll assume not.  The only way I know
that you could get the car to pass CA smog is to swap in a legal
engine and computer for the test.  Despite the actual emissions coming
out of the exhaust (which should be all that matters, not that my
opinion counts), the referee station (or whatever they're calling
those places today) wants all smog equipment in place for the engine
or the car, whichever is newer.

The one thing I don't know is if CA has a program to exempt vehicles
that are used for limited miles on public roads, similar to what they
do with historic cars.

It is ironic that you're in the position of being either a legal
polluter or an illegal non-polluter.

Scott Miller
GGC BMW CCA
San Ramon