Creative smog ideas welcome :)

To: Bay_Area_Autocross_List <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Creative smog ideas welcome :)
From: Glenn Ellingson <geewiz@sonic.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 23:08:56 -0700
Hi all.

I just bought a race car that I know won't pass CA smog. This is OK
and I bought it planning to trailer it.

But it _is_ a little frustrating since the car would meet the
tailpipe limits. Which makes it pretty darn counterproductive to tow
it since my nose is sufficient to tell me the emissions-exempt
carburated 500cu V-8 that will be pulling my 10,000 pound tow rig
definitely pumps out a lot more pollutants than the race car :). But
the race car will fail smog because a) it was sold as a federal car,
not a CA car; b) it can't supply ODB-II diagnostic codes (wiring
issues); and c) it definitely has changes to the emissions equipment
(a honkin' big supercharger, among other things -- I don't think a
smog technician is likely to miss that :). I think the smog laws are
going to force me to do the wrong thing here, but I figure it's worth
asking:

Has anyone ever gone through the DMV's custom-arrangement-of-
equipment special certification process and want to comment on that?
Or know any other way around this problem?

Thanks all,
-- Glenn