SCCA @ Autoshow

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net, "Lolita Adrien" <lomike@earthlink.net>
Subject: SCCA @ Autoshow
From: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:01:25 -0500
MJ Dunlap is absolutely right about the SCCA display at the SF Car show. It
is a fantastic effort. On Saturday night right behind Arie Villasoll's
racin' Rabbit, Dick Sisich of the Motor Sports Press association presented
(he's the track announcer at Laguna Seca and Infineon Raceway) presented
R.J. Gordy with a certificate of Appreciation (frameable) for all the work
he's done to make SF Region successful during his term of office.
        On hand to witness the above was Don Seike, prominent figure in SF
Region since it started, and who was a Show employee when it launched 46
years ago. (His day job was with the City of San Francisco.) SF region has
had a prominent place in what initially was called the Import Car show and
held at the underground Brooks Hall across from City Hall. It didn't hurt
that MG and Jaguar importer Kjell Qvale was behind the show in the first
place. Qvale, he's well into his 80s, still runs his business. Also
supporting SF Region back then was the late Jerry Diamond, who started his
career as an automotive columnist with the San Francisco Examiner.
Diamond's kids now run the show.

>>From MJ:
>>Heck, the Tabacco kids even made a
>>video that makes John Kelly look good! (I know you're thinking Industrial
>>Light & Magic couldn't do that but trust me on this.)<Smile John, your
still
>>on camera>;-))

Yes, indeed, I had a speaking part and that's not something everybody gets
to do.
Not once did it sound like I was gargling. Good editing takes care of this.

Doug and Natalie Tabacco produced a terrific video. It runs 12 minutes. I
sat through it twice! <G>
        We also get to see Tony Tabacco's bald spot, something his family
never previously mentioned to him. Watching Tony change a tire looks like
one of those old comedy bits you get to see in old Hollwood silent movies.
        The display organized by Barry Chafin etc. is just terrific there
had to be over 50 race cars of all sorts on display in the Moscone Center's
new ballroom. The show runs until next Sunday at the Moscone Center and is
open 10 to 10 daily except on the final night when it closes at 8 p.m. Take
BART, it's only four blocks to the hall from the station. But do look up
where to get off.
        Admission is $7.
--John Kelly