Re: Tire problem...

To: Jake Hodges <jake@codeworm.com>, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tire problem...
From: Dave Rowney <daver@uclink4.berkeley.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 11:15:22 -0800
At 08:14 AM 11/11/2002 -0800, Jake Hodges wrote:
>I'm satisfied that I can now drive like a sane person in the presence of
>other cars without putting anyone at risk for having good dry tires.

I agree with you in part, Jake;  in my experience road racing with shaved
BFG R1's, Kumho, and Toyo tires, they will out-perform any street
rain-tread tire in the rain, as long as the car speed+water depth variables
are below the threshold which will cause the tires to aquaplane, and the
temperature is moderate (50 deg. plus).  So I have no doubt that Azeni will
do fine, until they aquaplane.

But since we use our car for long highway trips, I want tires that will not
aquaplane at reasonably high highway speeds in heavy rain, and will not
chunk/rip at GGF and our other sites (I can accept a high wear rate).  The
Conti SC2's that are chunked do the first part VERY well (probably why they
were selected);  I'm going to try S-03's this time; hopefully they will do
both.

Dave