Re: Tire problem...

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tire problem...
From: Dave Rowney <daver@uclink4.berkeley.edu>
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 15:01:23 -0800
The MXX3's have a 140 rating, the Conti's are 280!

I agree with Boris that 205/50-17 is much too narrow and causes understeer,
but they still have less load on them (given the lighter front end on the
Boxster) than the MXX3's I used on the BMW, so they shouldn't come apart
the way they are doing.  Strangely, they don't  seem to heat up much at all
after 3 autocross runs, judging by the very slight increase in tire
pressure ( 1 psi).

I did adjust the front camber to max negative (about -1 deg.) after my 3rd
event with the Boxster.  And I have usually managed to drive within the
front tire's limits on turn-in so as to avoid terminal understeer.

I will definitely go up in front width; however, it seems probable that
some tires just will not hold up to autocross on our surfaces, regardless
of their treadwear rating or size.

Can anyone report on Bridgestone S-03's?  The Tire Rack people seem to
really like these; much better priced than the MXX3's (about the same price
for S-03 225/45 's as the Conti 205/50's).   I'm not considering
single-purpose dry cornering tires like the BFG KD or Azenis for my street
tires.

Thanks for the input,
Dave