Re: Stock Shock Chalk Talk

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stock Shock Chalk Talk
From: Randy Noll <rnoll98@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 12:00:41 -0700 (PDT)
Rather than cost, I'd lobby for a simple inclusion/exclusion list, then
you can say specifically which shocks you/we want and don't want. Cost
will never work, especially in the used parts realm.

What we may start to see then is a very expensive, monotube
penske with one external adjustment set right at the "max price" that
people deem "affordable". We can't exclude Penske just because they're
penske, and we need to be ready for someone to introduce a ultra
performance shock that is priced and designed to fit just within our
new parameters with regards to price and adjustability. So then
everyone needs to go out and spend $1,000, or whatever the max price
is, even if they have a brand new car with brand new OEM shocks, to be
competitive. Same problem, but we've roped in the price issue, a
little.

Better? yeah, but if you're gonna do that why not mandate OEM shocks
and only allow non OEM only if they aren't available anymore, then have
an inclusion list?

Many people (especially national competitors) are buying new cars every
few years just to stay competitive. As much as they are the only ones
buying new cars, they are also the only ones buying $5,000 shocks. An
OEM shock rule would control costs much better for those people, but
they're spending oodles of money already. If you're trying to make the
regional competitor who wants their 10 year old car to be competitive
without buying $5,000 shocks, I don't think this is the solution. In
most cases it's the car that's not competitive because everyone else
has spent $30k+ and upgraded to the new hot ticket. There are
exceptions, but eventually, and unfortunately, a new car will be put
into those classes as well...

A more stable classing system (like change it every 5 years or make all
new cars outclassed until someone actually spends a couple years
setting it up) might even make more sense from a pure cost savings
standpoint. But who said racing, errr, drving cars in a test of skill
around cones, is cheap?

It's like a lot of things. x number of hours will get you to maybe
80-90%, but you have to spend 3 or 4 times that to get the last 10%.
Shocks are part of that equation, but it's also all the littler things
that separate the fastest CARS (not drivers) from the fast-ish ones,
especially when the car isn't new. You'd think my MR2 had a solid gold
chassis if I told you what was spent on it vs. what it's book value
is(and it's got single adjustable shocks).

randy

HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
http://www.hotjobs.com