One SFR event at Atwater would be great! Was: Gravel at Golden

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net, matthew rehrer <mrehrer@rehrer.com>
Subject: One SFR event at Atwater would be great! Was: Gravel at Golden
From: "John F. Kelly Jr." <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 20:45:33 -0400

Message text written by matthew rehrer

"
For those of us newbies that are scared of the national tour I think that
one "regular SFR" event would be fun at Atwater.  Any space larger than
Candlestick would be cool.  I would love to see a place big enough to make
TTOD ~ 1.5-2 minutes.  Is this possible at any of our current venues?"

Candlestick is pretty big. It's fully capable of supporting a longer
course. And we don't even rent all of it.
However, longer courses bring on other problems, mostly administrative.
Our timing gear can hadle eight cars. Our people, however, are an unknown
in that area.
In a previous event at a very large site, we had course that measured
somewhere between
1.25-miles to 1.4 miles from start to finish. The event chairs figured four
cars were easy and our timing gear--a previous model--could handle it.
        In the above situiation when somebody screws up, and several
out-of-town visitors did just that while working in timing and scoring,
suddenly we were having re-runs four at a time. Didn't think we'd get
through that day.
        The optimum course length is between .6 and .8 of a mile with
appropriate twisty turns. And optimum minimum gap between cars is 24
seconds. And not all timing crews can handle 24 seconds! You have to
proceed at whatwever is the best rate for the volunteers doing the job.
        Recent Candlestick events have come pretty close to the goal of a
60-second course.

--John Kelly