Lotus vs. Ferrari

To: "Michael R. Clements" <mrclem@telocity.com>
Subject: Lotus vs. Ferrari
From: Rich Urschel <OSP13@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 10:06:00 -0700
"Michael R. Clements" wrote:

> Does a 3,000 lb. Ferrari actually outcorner a 1,500 lb. Elise? I'll bet
> the Elise actually runs circles around any Ferrari on a tight course...

Well, Elans "surrounded" the Ferrari in ASP at the
2001 National Championships:

Lotus Elan             48.582
360 Modena          49.267
Lotus Elan             50.868
360 Modena          51.410
Lotus Elan             51.845

The Modena is faster if placed perfectly. The Elan is far
more nimble and correctable.

I suspect R&T paid a lot more attention to the Modena's
high speed handling.

There's also something to be said for having a Ferrari
V8 behind your head, a paddle shifter, and an interior
smell richer than an all-leather sofa store (or for leaving
that $175,000 in your retirement account).

Rich Urschel