RE: FWD vs. RWD -- differences?

To: "'John J. Stimson-III'" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Subject: RE: FWD vs. RWD -- differences?
From: "Michael R. Clements" <mrclem@telocity.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 11:42:33 -0800
So with FWD you would want to brake while turning in order to get the
car to rotate. By applying the brakes while turning, you're using the
momentum of the car to induce a bit of oversteer as you enter the turn.
That would require braking a bit later than you would for RWD. If that's
what you mean, then I finally understand what "trail braking" is.

My experience with power oversteer in RWD is slightly different from
what you describe. With the RWD cars I've driven, I find that I can feel
power oversteer before the rear tires start really spinning. That is, as
I apply the throttle though a turn, I can feel the power oversteer
helping to rotate the car, before the car actually slides or spins. The
hard part is controlling it -- that is, riding the razor's edge between
just enough power oversteer to help rotation, without letting it turn
into a power slide.