RE: FWD vs. RWD -- differences?

To: "'james creasy'" <Black94PGT@pacbell.net>,
Subject: RE: FWD vs. RWD -- differences?
From: "Michael R. Clements" <mrclem@telocity.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 11:00:24 -0800
What you say makes sense -- if you are not at the extremes of handling,
then the differences would be minimized.

Perhaps that's what I'm really asking -- how are they different at the
extremes of handling? I've never driven a high performance FWD car (my
'90 base model Civic doesn't count) yet I know lots of people on this
list have. So I'm wondering what advice or tips they might have.

Yes it is desirable to stay within the traction limits. But you can
start to get oversteer or understeer as you approach the limits, before
you start sliding all over the place.

It would seem that there must be differences in driving technique. That
is, if you give too much gas too early through a turn in a RWD car you
will spin out. But if you do this in a FWD car you will plough. Two
opposite effects from the same driver mistake.

But perhaps all the techniques are the same, even though the results are
not the same? That is, even though the effect of messing up is opposite,
the actions you take as a driver to prevent or correct the situation are
the same.

Is that what you are saying?