RE: Spring Compressor?

To: "James Creasy" <black94pgt@pacbell.net>,
Subject: RE: Spring Compressor?
From: "Vitaly Iourtchenko" <vitaly@nuance.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 11:21:53 -0800
First time I was putting springs/shocks in the Honda, I rented a
spring compressor from Grand Auto. The one with two clamp thingies
with hooks.

So you clamp down both sides of the spring, and alternate
tightening the nut (1/2 a turn at a time). I compressed it
without a problem, got the shock out, and proceeded to
loosen the clamps to free the spring. I don't know how I got
sloppy (as I would loosen one side no more than 1/2 a turn),
but before I knew it, the clamp on one side of the spring
snapped with a loud bang, and moved right next to the other
clamp. It looked like the letter D, with the spring curled
in a half-circle, the inner coils almost touching each other.

At that point, I remembered all the stories about loose
springs busting holes in garage walls and ceilings, and
walked to the nearest garage. The mechanic was pretty
entertained at the sight of me carrying a loaded spring
on fully extended arms, but didn't want to touch it. They
insisted I pay the hourly rate for them to work on it.

Moral of the story: be careful.

Vitaly