Re: AACCKKK~I Hate Rules!

To: black94pgt@pacbell.net
Subject: Re: AACCKKK~I Hate Rules!
From: Dennis Hale <dhale_510@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 08:02:16 -0700 (PDT)
>SM is what OSP was supposed to be... for street cars.
>we need a two seater Street Mod for currently
>registered real street cars!  :)
- -james, wanna be street modder
>OSP #74

BXXXXTTT! I am sure you weren't there when we made up
OSP.
There were two major goals;
1. A place for those to play who simply had built a
car with out reference to the arcane and specific SCCA
Solo rules book. Hint, there is a big world out there
that does not revolve around the SCCA rule structure!
A kit car guy really ought to understand this.
2. A simple heads up class of run what you brung type
competition. No stinking rules, no silly protests.

It was panned as unworkable by all the graybeards and
we were assured it would be shortly destroyed by a
ringer car or two.
That never happened.
The same graybeards continue to wring their hands and
make the same statements 15 years later.
There has ALWAYS been an "overdog" in the class.
Before Jack's Bug there was Franco's topless 4
cylinder Datsun Z that never lost.
It doesn't matter. The class works.
It is also interesting that a big power OSP class car
has NEVER beaten the small nimble ones.
[But this now encroaches on the tube frame AP class
arguments....]
In the hillclimb club we do seperate the cars by
engine, the big power does help on a >15% grade.

There never was an intention or mandate that the base
car was ever to have been a legal strret car,
especially a Kalifornia legal street car! The current
Kalifornis Bus/Plane/Electric car PC statements about
efficiency/cleanness/responsibility yadda yadda yah
nonsense was quite with us then! Remember the 55 was
our salvation then!
SM on the other hand was created to give a strret car
an advantage. A very specific street car, the Beagle
twins with boost controls removed. And with Canadian
registration. It hasn't actually worked out as
planned, but the goals were far less generous and the
"overhead" of rules nearly crushing. It is not
intended to be a "run what you brung" nor a "heads up"
class. Just "another one just like the other one"
thing.
And SM2 will be written to give advantage to something
like a silly Fiero if it goes anything like SM did.

Since you brought up the historical context....

=====
Dennis Hale