Re: where to find battery cable?

To: black94pgt@pacbell.net, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: where to find battery cable?
From: "Rob Weinstock" <weinstro@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 06:35:41
>this seems easy, but places like kragen, napa and pep boys dont carry long
>battery cables (6'+)
>
>what id like is 2 gauge insulated cable with a way to attach the ends where
>i want.
>
>should i look at the hardware store?  i can order from summit, but id
>rather
>have it today. (hoping to put the gas tank back on today)
>
>i live in berkeley.

A really nice autoparts store will have what you want. I like Monument Auto
Parts, but don't know if they're in Berkeley.

Anyway, you want #2 AWG *fine stranded* welding cable or similar. Use copper
compression lugs and find, rent, borrow a professional crimping tool. These
are really large (24" at least) crimping pliers with special jaws. The jaw
dies are replaced to match the connector size you are crimping. Anything
else won't be sufficient. I found a shop in Fremont that specialized in
electrical systems for tractor-trailers and they crimped mine for free
(after buying the connectors and stuff from them). Use a silver-plated
copper lug if you can find it - better corrosion resistance.

Make sure to measure the length at least twice. It's very difficult to cut
cable back on, after you discover that you are 6" too short. Also, welding
cable has a soft insulating jacket, so be sure to use high quality grommets
when passing through sheetmetal, and cable-tie the cable in place to prevent
any chafing associated with movement.

Regards,

Rob