Re: Driving Simulators

To: Kit Wetzler <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Driving Simulators
From: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 13:59:54 -0500

Message text written by Kit Wetzler

"Several people spun my S2000 (instructors!) on the track because of
that.  I stopped letting other people drive it on the track, after
awhile.  :)"

Letting other people drive your car on a race track is, IMHO, a major
mistake. Just because they're identified as an "instructor" doesn't make
them into some super hero.
        Consider the case of the Thunderhill track manager driving Dan
Jones' Porsche GT3 R Cup car. Said track manager left the track between
Turns 12-13 and hit the concrete barrier separating the paddock from the
track. It was the first lap around the course on a cold track with cold
tires. The car caught fire and fortunately it was close to people equipped
with fire extinguishers. The car hit the wall on the driver's side, causing
severe damage to the driver, the tracks's top official --broken ribs (in
several places), punctured lung, broken scapula (shoulder blade) and
concussion. Passenger Dan Joses received two or three broken fingers and a
concussion. Both were flown by helicopter to a Chico hospital. Seems the
Willows hospital is somewhat limited in caring for such patients.
        The car, according to Jones, is a write off.
        Proceed cautiously.

--John Kelly