RE: Vehicle eligibility...

To: "'Smokerbros@aol.com'" <Smokerbros@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: Vehicle eligibility...
From: Bill Hamburgen <billh@pa.dec.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 21:05:06 -0700
> For some reason, there's a segment of the population that
> thinks a mathematical formula can solve any situation.
> I'm of the school that believes they solve very few of
> our situations in SCCA.

Come on, Charlie.  Physics is used to model vehicle dynamics,
and mathematical formulas are the language of physics.  Using
height, ground clearance and track to indicate likelihood
of flipping is at least as valid as using bore, stroke and
number of cylinders to indicate likely horsepower output.
In both cases you ignore lots of other relevant variables
for the sake of a simple but useful rule.

> As SPORTS CAR Club of America official, I think we're going
> to make very small number of people unhappy if we exclude
> vans, SUVs, and most pickup trucks (including mine)

Agreed.  Somewhat more would be unhappy if you excluded
stock VWs, BMWs, Focus's [Focii?], etc on sticky rubber.
I thought the issue was safety, not making people unhappy.

BTW, I have no intention of running the Previa ever again.
But I'm glad I had a chance to do it once.  It was a good
experience.

/Bill