Re: 8 CONE SLALOM

To: kkelly@spss.com, 76067.1750@compuserve.com, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 8 CONE SLALOM
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 16:54:29 EDT
In a message dated 6/29/2000 10:10:54 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
kkelly@spss.com writes:

<< I'm sorry, but I've just never seen anyone look or feel stupid for taking a
 slalom the wrong way, ever. I can understand the problem with course workers
 not paying attention, which is significant. All it takes is brain fade, SCCA
 member or not. I've never encountered anyone quitting autocross because of
 optional slaloms. Most regard it as part of the challenge.

 Katie >>

I wouldn't phrase it exactly as your Dad did, but here's my story.  I ran an
event in my '85 MR2 against a bunch of Sunbeam Tigers in B/S (old NCSCC
rules) and they all ran their first 2 runs the way everyone thought you
should run the slalom.  I ran all 3 of my runs, then they all took their 3rd
runs, the other way.  2 or 3 of them went faster than I did, and I had no
opportunity to respond.  I think there should only be one course to drive,
and with 1 optional slalom on a course you have the option of driving 2
different courses.  In a Regional event, it doesn't matter much, but in a
really important event I think you'll find that most people don't think it's
part of the fun of the event.

CHD