Re: 8 CONE SLALOM

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 8 CONE SLALOM
From: "Kevin Stevens" <kevin_stevens@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 11:13:31 PDT
>Three reasons for detesting optional slaloms:
>     1) I hate to look stupid for taking the wrong direction.
>             a) I think the game should be about DRIVING not course
>                following. If I wanted a course-following challenge
>                I'd be into rallying.

I don't see how an optional slalom is a course-following issue,
unless you mean blowing straight past all the cones, and it's just
as easy to do that on a slalom with a single directional pylon.

>             b) Taking course following to the extreme--which the
>                rally people did with the development of TRAP
>  rallies --they lose a lot of contestants who NEVER
>                return. This is not the way to develop a program
>     when people don't come back.

If I'm understanding, you're comparing the difficulty of an optional
slalom to that of a TRAP rally in terms of the retention effect on SCCA Solo
II competitors?  That doesn't seem to me to be a reasonable comparison.  You
might as well say that announcing times will drive off some competitors
because rock concerts are too loud.

KeS