Re: 8 CONE SLALOM (WAS: THANKS)

To: donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net, jcre@mozart.com, jesse@wordex.com,
Subject: Re: 8 CONE SLALOM (WAS: THANKS)
From: "Kevin Stevens" <kevin_stevens@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 16:28:09 PDT
>I think THE, or is it "A", most important technique to master when
>negotiating slaloms is "discipline". By this I mean, never overdrive
>the front end of the slalom as this causes you to get, progressively,
>"late" turning on the cones as you proceed through the slalom. This
>is the most frequent mistake, independent of other less effective
>slalom techniques employed, that we all succumb to at times.

Agreed.  Unfortunately, the SECOND most frequent mistake made in slaloms,
especially extended ones, is to go in slow and get "comfortably" up to speed
around the third or fourth cone.  If it's a constant spaced slalom, you want
to be AT speed from the first cone on.  This wasn't possible for most cars
on Sunday's course due to the 90 degree left before the slalom, but I
managed to get "up to speed" by the second cone.  Incidentally, I heartily
disagree with the direction everyone was taking the slalom in the afternoon
(outside of first cone/inside of last).  By that time the dirty/clean
difference was too great to go the other way, but I'd sure have liked a
harder charge onto the back straight...

>Also, unless there are significant cone spacing differences in a slalom I
>don't think using brakes, once you're in the slalom, is
>effective, as it's both time consuming and disrupts the car balance.
>Remember, negotiating a slalom is a delicate balancing "dance".

Don says this because he hasn't mastered the intricacies of left-foot
braking.  This is why I kicked his butt at the Divisional, and why he is
doomed to ignominy and failure at Nationals unless he begins using LFB
immediately.  The fact that he is "dancing" on only one foot also explains
his unfortunate social ostracism.

KeS