Re: anyone have an opinion about the new Lexus IS300

To: mrc01@flash.net, Autocross List <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: anyone have an opinion about the new Lexus IS300
From: Scot Zediker <mx5_1991@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 13:18:13 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Michael R. Clements" <mrc01@flash.net> wrote:
> Ha Ha yes it's very amusing that Mercedes and BMW
> dealers often
> say this about Lexus (as if it were some kind of
> indictment),
> when in fact it actually means it's one of the most
> reliable cars
> made in the world. Now if only we could get a car
> with the
> styling of a BMW but the build quality and
> reliability of a
> Toyota or Honda, that would be quite a machine!

When I said "it's a Toyota sedan," I meant everything
that implies.  The IS300 will no doubt be bulletproof
and solidly built.  But Toyota (and most of the other
Japanese makes as well) still hasn't figured out how
to give their sedans the character of, say, BMW,
Mercedes, or Jaguar.

But the MR2 Spyder and the new Celica are most
definitely distinctive, even if they aren't for
everyone.  Maybe Toyota can spread a little of this
across the rest of their lineup?

=====
Scot Zediker
mx5_1991@yahoo.com
San Jose, CA

"If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving."