Re: 2005 Helmet Rules

To: "Mark Sirota" <mark@sirota.org>, "Charlie Davis" <gt40d@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: 2005 Helmet Rules
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 01:27:44 -0600
Is that the wording in the 2005 book, Mark? (which I don't have yet)

The 2004 wording *is* specific:

"4.3.1 Helmets ... All helmets meeting the current or two immediately
preceding Snell Foundation standards (SA or M) are acceptable. For 2003
[quoting the 2004 book, probably fixed in FasTrack] this includes Snell
2000, Snell 1995 and Snell 1990."

In other words, SA and M but not K are specified. Also, 2000, 1995 and 1990
are specified. And notwithstanding the "2003" error, those specifics would
presumably have to be updated for the 2006 book (or deleted to just leave
the "current or two immediately preceding " language without specificity).
And BTW, that specificity solves the October-December problem too. Since the
new book is effective 1/1, then technically the new standard would not be
legal until then but I doubt anyone would think of rejecting a new Snell
2005 helmet if someone showed up with one. Then again that ratty old 1990
would still be good to 12/31/2005.

As for K helmets, there is no mention of them. 4.3.1 only says "See appendix
G for Kart helmet rules" -- that is, helmet rules relating strictly to kart
drivers, not approval of K helmets. And upon looking in Appendix G, section
IV.B.1, we find strangely that ONLY M-rated helmets are legal! SA helmets
are not deemed legal for karts. Surely this was an error and one would hope
a later bulletin fixed it, but that is what it says.

I believe 2005 is the first time Snell has put SA and K in the same document
defining the standard -- that's what's new and that's what newly puts the K
on par with SA.

Tell me that's all been changed in the 2005 book to what you said below and
that is great (although I think the specificity is still a good thing for
those who have no clue what the "current standard" is).

--Rocky