Re: Wendover Pro?????

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wendover Pro?????
From: Alan Dahl <alandahl@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 11:19:47 -0700
On Sunday, July 20, 2003, at 10:05  PM, Mark J Bradakis wrote:
> Hot is vicious sun, shirt soaking, armpit rotting, what *IS* that
> smell,
> I'd kill for some shade, over 3 gallons in and I haven't peed since
> daybreak hot.  I wasn't competing, so I didn't have to endure an entire
> weekend of such heat.  I was part of the Utah region crew that put in
> many
> hours thursday setting up the course and patching the surface.  We
> finished
> up after midnight, and it was still 90+ degrees as we were cleaning up.

Kudos also go to Mark for helping us out and keeping our car in the
competition when it appeared that all was lost. Our FSP Triumph TR-6
decided that it didn't like 102 degree temps and spewed it's coolant
all over the grid just before I was to make my Saturday afternoon runs.
 From the rapid coolant loss once we re-filled it it appeared that the
radiator was split and our weekend was done.

Charlie Shelton was nice enough to pass on Mark's phone number and I
left a message. About a quarter to 9 that evening MJB calls and says
that not only does he have a spare TR-6 radiator he doesn't mind
helping us put it in despite the late hour and our being 2 hours away!
We quickly loaded up the car and heading for Salt Lake City and the Fat
Chance Garage. Mark spent over two hours helping us R&R the radiator
and digging though his many storage buildings looking for a good TR-6
radiator and a mechanical TR6 fan to replace our inadequate electric
fan. Turned out that the top radiator hose had split where it attached
and was pouring coolant into the radiator. We finally got the car all
fixed and buttoned up at about 1:15 (and still about 95 degrees!).
Despite giving up his evening Mark refused any payment, finally
accepting at our insistence our offer of a case of Seattle's finest
brew.

Sunday the car ran much cooler and I was able to almost capture third
place, falling short of second by only 2 tenths. Without Mark's
unselfish help we would have had to head back to Seattle early. Thanks
a lot Mark, you really are the best!

- Alan Dahl