RE: New Car Classing

To: Charles <cfgold@intrex.net>, "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>,
Subject: RE: New Car Classing
From: "Madurski, Ronald M" <ronald.m.madurski@lmco.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 17:04:47 -0500
OK, I'll jump on that one...

Ronald M. Madurski
Lockheed Martin Information Technologies
304 625 2269
ronald.m.madurski@lmco.com

        That's actually a statement that I strive to prove incorrect :-)

> Really all that expense doesn't count? You got someone paying it for you?
> Do
> they want to adopt us?

        No, no, and probably not.  But, those expenses are there no matter
which ride you choose to autocross.

> Even if you take out the 6K of expenses involved with testing and learning
> the characteristics of the car, that still leaves 8.5K in vehicle costs.
> you can do an alignment yourself for 0 cost ??? You have a callibrated

        Pretty close.  I have built some tools the last couple of years to
measure the basics.  Caster, camber, and toe.

> eyeball that is as accurate as a 50K computerized alignment rack? I spent
> 6

        Close enough.  I'm not even sure if my values are correct but once
the first alignment is done it's all relative changes.

> years working as a mechanic, and know that statement is "pure crap" as you
> say! Besides I don't have a garage, and my unpaved driveway is a 20*
> slope.

        That would make it difficult to do :-)

> Wonder how much it would cost to rent a shop or put up a garage??? (or are

        I am getting ready to erect a 32x48x12 steel building (no floor,
electric, water, or heat yet) for less than $10K.

> those "free" too?) Just out of curiosity, so I can understand where you
> get
> your info from, what class did YOU run at the nationals and how many
> national trophy finishes did you get last season?

        FM. 4th at Rome, 2nd at Peru, 5th at Topeka.

> I can document all our expenses, we keep excellent records, but I'm
> getting
> tired of people telling me how much cheaper they could do it. I'm always
> willing to learn from someone with the credentials, but I'm not
> recognizing
> most of these names from the national champions list, so I'm not going to
> respond to this issue any more! Have a good day!

        I don't keep really detailed records but on the major expenses I
know what I have spent.  Right after the Peru tour I added it up and I had
at that time $3250 TOTAL into the car (Not counting my time or consumables
like tires, fuel, oil, ...).  I paid less than you did for your shocks for
my whole car.  The motor I ran this year cost me $100 and it came with
enough spares to rebuild it again if needed.  My tires were hand me downs or
used rubber purchased cheaply.   I haven't done any analysis on it but I
would venture to guess that my time/$ ratio (92.493/3250) was the highest at
Nationals this year ( except for co-drivers who spent nothing on their cars
:-).

        Anybody else out there winning national trophies with a TOTAL
vehicle budget under $4K?

        Ron Madurski
        FM 124