Re: F1 Grand Prix

To: ".Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: F1 Grand Prix
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 16:56:56 -0500
> Kinda cheesy though, Michael letting Rubens by for the win on the last
lap.
> Oh well, I'll keep cheering for Jaun Paul to win the next race.
>
> Eric Linnhoff in KC

The pope? Didn't know he had a superlicense. But then he answers to a power
higher than Ecclestone.

I have a theory about that finish. They were setting up a photo op, Michael
letting Rubens catch up. Didja catch it as they rounded Indy-1 for the final
time and Michael went wide, the cloud of dust he kicked up there? Probably
went wide for the photo op, and I'd believe his car got just a tad loose up
there in the gray so he lifted a moment to catch it.  Rubens, doing the
"usual" line, had no reason to lift, and suddenly he was significantly
faster than Michael down the frontstraight. It looked like Rubens was trying
not to pass Michael and failed. Then there was the in-car shot from
Michael's that showed him doing an "oh, well" gesture. I rather suspect it
was less a matter of him giving it to Rubens as that when it happened as a
result of him trying to do something else, since his championship was in the
bag (as well as all the records) he was able to be philosophical about it
and treat it as payback of what he owed Rubens from Austria.

All kinda fun, really, and made it a rather memorable end to the usual red
parade.

--Rocky Entriken