RE: Stock class steering wheels

To: autox <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Stock class steering wheels
From: Andy Hollis <awhollis@swbell.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 18:04:20 -0500
Brad,

While your rationale sounds harmless on the surface, these are the kinds of
allowances that mushroom into perceived "must have" mods.  For example, I
can make (or have made) a lighter steering wheel and airbag setup, and save
maybe 8 lbs.  Doesn't sound like much but its in the same range as the tow
hooks on that same Miata you are talking about.  And those must remain OEM
as well.  And that's for a Miata.  Think also how that rule might apply to a
bigger car with a more massive steering wheel.  Even bigger weight savings
there.

Outside of that, there is a potential liability issue.  Once the rules
encourage modification of the airbag system on what are clearly
street-driven vehicles (not like an SP car), the SCCA *could* potentially be
held liable for negligence.

Finally, there's the issue of safety.  Airbags are explosive devices.  I'm
not sure I want to be in grid next to someone who has a modded airbag setup.
Disconnected? Sure.  OEM? Of course.  But not modded.

--Andy

PS: If you want to buy an OEM 90-93 Miata steering wheel with airbag, I have
one I'll sell you.