Re: Stock class steering wheels

To: "Burns, James B." <James.Burns@jhuapl.edu>,
Subject: Re: Stock class steering wheels
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 15:13:30 -0500
Probably because the original rule was written many years before airbags
were invented, and it was common to swap out that old mundane plastic wheel
with something sexy from the aftermarket supplier -- woodrim, or "Monza
design" or whatever. And nobody sold "Triumph replacement" or "Fiat
Replacement," etc, but "buy the Wizbang, or the Outtasite," or whatever
other design caught your eye and it comes with a universal hub. Kinda like
road wheels -- what design do you fancy, and we'll drill the holes to match
your bolt pattern.

Airbags, of course, changed all that. Now steering wheels are a system
instead of a lever.

The rulemakers way back then just wanted to be sure someone did not get some
great leverage advantage (I have an illegal-for-stock steering wheel in my
street '64 Spitfire -- stock came with a 16" wheel, the replacement is 13".
The one in the Prepared-class race car is 12").

--Rocky