Farewell to Nats (may get a little long!)

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Farewell to Nats (may get a little long!)
From: John Lieberman <jlieberman@sport.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 20:33:32 -0500
Hey, Gang!

Just wanted to take a little bit of time away from writing my SportsCar
articles to thank you all for the wonderful experiences I've had in
Topeka over the past several years.  Though I joined the SCCA in 1985, I
didn't go to my first Nationals until 1997.  Since then, I haven't
missed a year - except for 1999 when a co-worker had to have emergency
surgery on his arm at the last minute and I had to cancel my plans.

I've met a lot of great people there over the past several years.  I've
been able to associate faces with names from this list.  I haven't
driven worth a poop, but I've sure had a lot of fun talking with you,
writing my assigned classes for SportsCar and North American Pylon, and
trying to entertain you when I could at the Thursday night talent show.

But, alas, all good things must come to an end.  Since I'm a radio news
director by trade, I've been informed by my company (Clear Channel
Communications) that NOBODY - especially those of us in news - will be
able to take off the week of September 11th in years to come.  Whether
that decision is right or wrong, it's out of my hands.  The bottom line
is that I'll be in Shreveport during next years' Nationals and probably
for a few years after that.

Yes, I'll still be actively involved in autocrossing at the local,
state, and divisional levels.  Yes, I'll still be active on this list.
Yes, I'll still make the National Convention whenever I can.  Yes, I'll
still be the SOWDIV Solo-2 Safety Steward.  Yes, I'll still be a member
of the National Solo Safety Committee.  And, yes, I'll still be the
editor of the Safety Belt.  But, NO, I won't be at Nationals next year.

So I wish all of you the best of luck in years to come.  Though I won't
be there with you in person, I'll certainly be there in spirit.  Thanks
for the wonderful memories.  Looks like you're going to have to find
another Nationals writer, Rocky and John!!!  8<{)

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman